Laser competition @ Cookie Paris 2017
The first laser competition ever in a demo party. A refreshing contest with vectorial aesthetic. Forget LCD displays, there is no "real" lights inside, think a demo with a beautiful but brutal lightning system : laser lights.
Like in the old days when computers were clock limited, lasers mirrors motors are « slow » and this is another reason why it’s difficult/interesting : to deal with a few hundred points per frame.
Constrain is high to produce high quality visuals, what you see is what your get through skills and imagination.
- A pioneer realtime laser demo : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_CHXwXvWvs
- Space wars game :
Laser Demo competition informations
- This demo laser competition is about custom programs that delivers uber visuals, not lasershows produced with Q…ckshow or any other proprietary software.
- 4 ILDA lasers and their etherdreams controllers will be available on site. You may use one or more laser in your demo.
- There is no mandatory hardware : you can also bring and use your DIY system micro controller based. Remember for custom hardware, there is a « Wild » competition. Ask orga before bringing any extra laser system for safety check.
- One laser+etherdream will be available for test from now on* at the party place, every wednesday during the Jack hackerspace open meeting. Remember that you can also use some of the code examples with built in simulator (see LaserBootstrap).
- For efficiency, no wifi access to the lasers LAN. Bring your RJ45 dongle if needed.
- As all the Cookie demos, you can start coding now.
- This competition will be hosted by the /team/laser of /tmp/lab hackerspace at Jardin d'Alice place.
You're new in laser ?
Here are some useful links and code example.
- LaserBootstrap guide with python
- Download code :https://github.com/tmpbci/Cookie-Paris-2017-Laser-competition-examples
- Connect your ether dream to your IP network
- python sitter.py will display the etherdream broadcast
- python talk.py will draw a color square.
- Any laser system must comply to basic safety regulation (emergency stop,…).
- Scanning the audience is forbidden.
- Lasers will be operated by laser safety aware people.